Pages Under this section
- Back to Previous Section
- Himalaya Bicycle Adventures
- Travel Module: Sikkim Dzongu
- Trekking Module: Goechala Trekking to the Khangchendzonga
- Trekking Module: Rhododendron Trail
- Travel Module: Trekking Singalila
- Trekking Module: Hiking & Trekking in the Wild North Sikkim
- Classical Sikkim Round Trip
- Sikkim & Darjeeling Cultural and Hiking Trip with Kalimpong
- Travel Module: North Sikkim Cultural Journey
- Travel Module: East Sikkim - Cultural Journey
- Travel Module: Sikkim's South and West - Cultural Journey
Himalaya Bicycle Adventures Cycling Trip from the Indian Plains to the Himalayas Darjeeling
• 16 days / 15 nights • 10 bicycle stages at 24-49 km • max. altitude 2150 m above sea level • moderate to challenging • overnight in the hotel, farm house / bungalow as house guest etc •
To experience the culture of the eastern Himalayas up close: this unique opportunity offers you our cycling trip from the district of Darjeeling, in the Indian state of West Bengal, to the former Buddhist kingdom of Sikkim. Roads lead partly on asphalt, partly on unpaved roads through idyllic landscapes, through forests and mountain villages, past terraced fields and Tibetan Buddhist monasteries, far away from mass tourism. All this, time and again with the view of the snow giants around Mount Khangchendzonga, the third highest mountain in the world.
Be inspired by the cultural diversity of the many different indigenous Himalayan peoples here, who now live in peaceful unity, and in whose everyday life Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, Muslim and shamanistic traditions play an important role. At least as diverse as the culture of the people is the wealth of vegetation and biodiversity: through immense differences in altitude in a very small space - about 250 meters above sea level right up to the eternal ice at about 8000 m above sea level - the biodiversity of this region is unique.
You cycle in exotic wooded valleys along river banks, follow some steep ascents with 180° bends on bumpy-stony forest and nature roads, and always discover anew and in subtle nuances the fascinating vegetation change against the backdrop of the mighty snow giants of the Himalayas. If at the end of a day you let the eye roam over the beautiful panorama, then body, mind and soul feel the experiences of the day. The bridge to the Indian Himalayas can be flexibly adapted your individual preferences, and very well be crossed on a bicycle!
- Unique biodiversity, a wide variety of vegetation zones in a small space, and accordingly diverse wildlife.
- Similarly diverse cultural bandwidth: immersion in the authentic daily life of the locals, off the beaten track.
- Experience the environment by bicycle and absorb intense impressions this way.
- Visits to places of power, monasteries, cultural sites and inhabitants villages.
- Individual adjustment of the daily stages / travel program to fields of interest and personal fitness.
- Impressive panoramas of vivid green valleys in front of the mighty, white peaks of the Himalayas.
Day 1 : Arrival in Calcutta or Delhi. Overnight at hotel.
Day 2 : Domestic flight to Bagdogra in the state of West Bengal, transfer to the starting point of the cycle tour and handover of the bicycles. Overnight at a resort or as a house guest.
Day 3 : Varied cycle ride, about 24 km. Overnight at tea garden bungalow.
Day 4 : Crowning stage with approximately 1,700 meters of ascent over 34 km. Visit the monastery of Lava. Overnight at the guest house.
Option: Complete this stage in 2 days.
Day 5 : Bicycle tour, approx. 49 km, descent to the plateau of Samthar. Overnight in bungalow.
Day 6 : Rest day, optional hike or cycle in the surrounding area. Overnight in bungalow.
Day 7 : Bicycle tour, about 24 km, transfer to Sikkim. Overnight at hotel.
Day 8 : Transfer to the starting point of today's bicycle tour, about 20 km with 550 meters ascent to a gigantic Buddha statue. Overnight at hotel.
Day 9 : Cycling tour, 42 km downhill along the bank of the river Rangit, transfer via a mountain road. Overnight at a Farmhouse.
Option: Complete the whole distance by bicycle (+ 36 km ascent of about about 1120 meters).
Day 10 : Cycling tour, about 65 km with about 630 meters of ascent. Transfer to and overnight at the hotel.
Option: Complete the whole distance by bicycle (+ 24 km ascent of about 1440 meters).
Day 11: Cycling tour, about 22 km and transfer to wish lake, visit to the Pemayangtse monastery. Overnight at hotel.
Option: Complete the whole distance by bicycle (+ 9 km ascent of about about 610 meters).
Day 12 : Cycling tour, approx. 31 km, with about 300 meters of ascent. Visit to the place of power Tashiding. Transfer to place of overnight stay. Overnight as a house guest.
Option: Complete the whole distance by bicycle (+ 19 km ascent of about 700 meters).
Day 13 : Cycling tour, around 44 km with 600 meters of ascent to the mountain pass (2150 m above sea level) and spectacular descent to the river Tista. Transfer to and overnight at Bamboo Retreat.
Day 14 : Day trip to Gangtok. Overnight at Bamboo Retreat.
Day 15 : Hike to a Lepcha village and sightseeing of monasteries. Overnight at Bamboo Retreat.
Day 16 : Transfer to Bagdogra airport, domestic flight to Kolkata or Delhi, continuation or return home.
Best Travel Period
The climatic conditions in this region are favourable in the period from March to mid June, as well as from September to November, to best experience the country. The spring in particular is attractive, when nature awakens colorfully and the work in the fields begins. From December to February, it is cooler though (+5°C to +18°C) but also dry. In summer, the monsoon arrives and therefore lots of rainfall.
- Integrate additional Travel Modules such as "Travel Module Kolkata" or "Delhi".
- Lenghten or shorten this trip according to your time window